A lovely fall and winter treat, cran-orange oatmeal cookies are a fun and simple treat and are a great way to include the kids in the kitchen!
1/2 cup Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 cup Organic Coconut Sugar
1/4 cup Raw Sugar (finer crystals recommended)
3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tbsp Orange Zest (freshly grated)
2 tbsp Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
3/4 cup Wheat Flour (can be substituted for gluten-free flour of choice for gluten free option)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries (tossed in flour)
1 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium-large bowl, whip together coconut oil, coconut sugar, and raw sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in the egg, followed by vanilla extract, orange zest, and orange juice.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon until fully and evenly mixed.
4. Stir the flour mixture into the oil mixture until smooth.
5. Stir in oats, then cranberries (coated with flour so they don’t sink to the bottom).
6. Scoop cookies onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets with a cookie drop. You can use a heaping tablespoon or 2 tbsp measure as well, but be sure to round the scoops into balls. Each ball should be approximately 2 tbsp.
7. With the palm of your hand or the bottom of a spoon, flatten the top of each round ball of dough. This will result in a round, thick cookie. For a thinner, crispier cookie, completely flatten the dough to the sheet. For a thicker cookie, do not flatten the top.
8. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with just a pinch of sea salt.
9. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden-brown in color and the cookies have lost their shine.
10. Transfer parchment paper with cookies onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before enjoying.